Saturday, July 7, 2012

Grains Flying Higher Than Fireworks


But like fireworks, will they fizzle out with a lot of oohs and applause?

Yesterday afternoon I ventured out in the 103 degree Kansas City heat. I wasn't headed for a fireworks display, but out for supper. It is the first time on the Fourth of July that I didn't grill out. With as many people sitting in the very cool air conditioned restaurant, I wasn't alone. It is likely stores have bags of charcoal that will go on sale soon to clean up inventories. As I was walking into the restaurant, a young boy, I guess around four or five asked his father, "Is it OK to say it is darn hot?" I wanted to answer for the father and say it was not only OK to use darn, but use it along with a lot of other words not acceptable to say in public. His father said, "Today it's OK."

The heat in the Midwest is oppressive. Roads are hot. Buildings are hot and there is no other way to put it. Records for high temperatures and for the days in a row over 100 degrees have been broken in most Midwestern large cities and for the next two to three days it may get a little hotter, before a front breaks the heat over the coming weekend into next week. If corn and soybeans aren't under irrigation, and in the areas that haven't received rain for two to three weeks, they are in trouble.

However, last week when I asked for comments and pictures of corn and soybeans, the calls and emails I did receive were from areas of the Midwest where crops are doing well. For some unknown reason, and I can't explain why, I didn't hear from farmers where crops are suffering and are poor to very poor. Of course, I have clients in areas where I know crops are poor, and because I live in Missouri, I am living in one of the hottest and driest areas day after day. But, I did want to see and share areas where it is the worst. After all, misery loves company. (more)

No comments:

Post a Comment