Friday, April 9, 2010

Study: 1.2 million households lost to recession

Since Richard Brown lost his job to the recession and his Boston home to foreclosure a year ago, he’s been working short-term consulting assignments until he gets back on his feet. In the meantime, he’s been “couch surfing.”

“I’ve lived with my brother, my cousin, my friend and my dad,” he said. “The IRS keeps calling me, asking me: ‘What’s your address?’ And I say, ‘What week is this?’”

Armed with college degree and an MBA, Brown, 49, built a solid resume over three decades as a corporate controller for several Fortune 500 companies, including W.R. Grace and Wal-Mart, before launching his own global consulting business with clients in Europe and Mexico. But when the Panic of 2008 sent clients scrambling, he was unable to keep up with a jump in his mortgage payments and lost his home to foreclosure. (more)

1 comment:

  1. So the guy has an MBA, has held executive positions and owned his own business, working for some 30 years and in all that time he never managed to put aside a case reserve big enough to help him get through a year of being unemployed. I hope everyone can learn from this and be prepared - don't expect that a job will always be there and save at least some money for an emergency fund.

    ReplyDelete