Saturday, March 13, 2010

Is Goldman Sachs a bubble ready to burst?

One of the best lessons I've learned over my career as an investment analyst is the myth of excellent management or "great execution" is really just that – a myth.

When I see companies in troubled industries reporting quarter after quarter of great results, while all of their peers are getting killed, I know a fraud is going on. I remember in the early 2000s, WorldCom kept reporting profits when all of the other long-distance carriers were getting killed. I knew it couldn't last. And it didn't. WorldCom's accounting was revealed to be a fraud – the company was counting its network access costs as capital expenses. Once the real numbers came out, the company collapsed in what was the largest bankruptcy in American history at that point. (more)

1 comment:

  1. This guy is so breathtakingly ignorant that I'm almost speechless. Quite remarkable - he appears to know nothing whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete