Saturday, April 28, 2012

If you Own Shares of Apple, Then You'll Want to Read This

In the mid 1980s, my favorite band was R.E.M. At that time, they were the kings of college radio and snotty rock critics. But high school kids were still using Van Halen, Loverboy and Journey as their soundtrack for getting in trouble. When classmates would kid me about listening to the weird, minimalist music that they didn't play on commercial radio, however, I would simply reply, "Yeah. Just watch. There'll be an R.E.M. tape in your collection by the time you come home for Thanksgiving break of your freshman year of college."
I was at a party during Thanksgiving break of my freshman year of college. One of detractors came up and thumped me in the sternum. "You were right about R.E.M.!"
The herd had caught on.
R.E.M. went on to a major label, multimillion-dollar deal and became mainstream. I still liked R.E. M., but it had grown beyond being an outlier band from Athens, Georgia. Their output changed, perhaps dictated by a much bigger audience. (more)

No comments:

Post a Comment