Saturday, August 21, 2010

Black Swans Need Not Apply (6 Reasons Why the Economy is Going Down)

By Louis James, Chief Metals Strategist, Casey Research ,

I was pounding pavement instead of kicking rocks recently, on Wall Street of all places. There were Suits hanging around outside the familiar iconic buildings, despondently smoking cigarettes. In my surely biased opinion, the feel of the place was distinctly less energetic than usual.

But what really struck me was not one, but two guys with sandwich-board placards announcing “WE BUY GOLD” – for different companies.

Just afterward, while having lunch at Rockefeller Center, my sister, a conservative mainstream banker, called and asked me how to go about buying physical gold. I knew that day was coming, just as I knew the Soviet Union was destined to collapse sooner or later from the weight of its own economic stupidity, but it was still a shocker when it happened.

And yet, if you ask your neighbors, you’ll most likely have a hard time finding any who own gold. My New York adventures are signs of an approaching gold mania, not a present one. But I believe more firmly than ever that it’s coming.

Meanwhile, the Wizards in Washington entreat us to pay no attention to the man behind the curtain, hoping to distract the American consumer from the mounting evidence that the so-called recovery in the U.S. of Oz is faltering. Rather than let the market liquidate malinvestment and mismanagement, government intervention to prop up failed companies, bankrupt states, busted banks, and toxic business models (like condo flipping) is only dissipating vast sums of borrowed money to no useful end. (more)

No comments:

Post a Comment